Friday, November 19

From the Platform: Subway Graffiti, 1983-1989


Here we have an upcoming book based around a subject which has always held my interest, particularly within the recent year or so: graffiti. I always wished I was one of those brave graff artists/taggers (like some of my friends were back in their day) who would risk getting caught by the cops and go out and bomb on walls and trains and all manner of surface...but alas, I never had the courage to get involved in such things. I attribute some of it to the fact that I've never felt I could do and draw some of the amazing things these people could do, although I never tried, so that could also be a contributing factor. Regardless of which though, I love it when books of this nature come out as it allows me to live empirically through the many talented people who's work makes up this book. As a fan of the medium, I just want to give them all my thanks.

More Info:
“From the Platform” is the latest publication to offer a nostalgic review of graffiti in New York. Put together by graffiti writer Paul Cavalieri (who was able to take a wide array of photographs after having learnt much of the Subway timetable), the book stands out from the crown because it concentrates solely on Subway art, created between the mid to late 80’s. Hailed as a golden era of street art, the compilation actually draws from subway graffiti from 1983-1989 when the MTA announced that its fleet was entirely graffiti-free. The book boasts from than 325 color photos across 177 pages and is now available to pre-order from Amazon, with a full release expected in February 2011.

via Hypebeast

No comments:

Post a Comment