Wednesday, August 26

Drake? Really?!

So, I needed somewhere to vent my thoughts on this subject because I can't, for the life of me understand why everyone is all over homeboy's jock...I mean I have heard some nice stuff from him but even as such it's nothing super-special, going beyond anything else you hear on radio. I'd have to say that the first Drake track that I heard that actually impressed me was "I Want This Forever," (re-released as "Forever" featuring Wayne, Kanye and Eminem [link]) and for that I'll give dude credit.
Now as far as "Best I Ever Had," I honestly can't find the appeal in the track...not even Wayne could save that one. I mean I can openly admit that the instrumental itself doesn't wow me either but I'm not factoring that into my Drake rant. If it were up to me, dude would probably stick to singing over tracks and leave the rapping to someone else; I honestly don't think (read: pretty much know) that Drake isn't an MC first and foremost as proven by the
'Blackberry Freestyle' on Funkmaster Flex's show [back in April] that made its way around the web and as such, he should probably not rep it so hard as if he were from the streets ("Degrassi stand up"?!?).
At the end of the day it's nothing personal that I have against him, especially considering that that would be foolish seeing as how I don't know him (lol), but I did want to vent to the web and see if someone can shed some light on "why the fuck is dude getting so much shine?" especially considering how many other notable acts are trying so hard to make it to the level of a Drake (see
XXL's Top 10 Freshmen 2009...yes, even Prince of Fail, Charles Hamilton).

Thoughts?

No comments:

Post a Comment